Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Liked on YouTube: TAI CHI SQUARE & ROUND FORM MASTER STEPHEN HWA

TAI CHI SQUARE & ROUND FORM MASTER STEPHEN HWA
In Tai Chi there is talk of seeking straight from curved, curved from straight. Many people say Classical Tai Chi Square form is “robotic”, my teacher says “the more robotic the better”…it gives us a plethora of straight lines and delineates what parts of the body move and don't move. Everyone thinks that Tai Chi's movements should always be round and smooth I talked to my teacher Master Stephen Hwa about the Calculus, straight lines, and curves in Tai Chi…he said “you are on the right track”. BTW Master Hwa was the scientist at Xerox that others came to when they had Math problems. Anyway, if I want to draw a curve I might start with a few points. Let’s say I put points on a paper and name each N, S, E, W, N, NE, NW, etc. So I have all those points (directions). Now I connect N to NE to E to SE to S, etc. with straight lines. Once I have the lines I can draw curved lines between the points. In The Classical Tai Chi Square form, there are many straight lines, and angles. Where the movement ends is the end of a straight line but if you have visualized what I say then the end of the lines, those points are tangential to the curve, and those points, changes in direction are where internal energy is released. Indeed there are other folks Tai Chi that says they do Square Form. What they don't say is they do Square Form in a Small, Mid, or Large Frame. Classical Tai Chi does square in a Small, Compact, and Tight Compact Frame. It is essential for the plethora of small, compact, and tight compact curved movements of the Round Form that use internal movement from the torso.
via YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmahSaL_kY

No comments: