Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Swap physical for "ethereal"


 "Ethereal" photo aside, I first saw Donn Draeger's "Comprehensive Asian Martial Arts" in 1975 at an Asian Garden Nursery. The word "internal" was seen 16 times on four different pages, my first hint. I had this vague feeling that the book "beat around the bush" about the "physical internal discipline." And of course, it proved true as I started my first Tai Chi "Buggy ride" in 1976. The unlisted video link is of Master Stephen Hwa and a snippet of his "Introduction" at https://classical-tai-chi.teachable.com. The physical, I will say, "internal" discipline of Tai Chi indeed is not well known. It took 20 years of "Tai Chi Buggy rides" out of the last 46 to physically find my teacher. However, what passes for the "mental" discipline of Tai Chi, unfortunately, is well known. One might juxtapose the word "mental" with this culture's tendencies for "ethereal" or even "spiritual." That might also depend on what kind of Tai Chi you believe in. Which, of course, like many other things, is one of many; each is telling you they are the right one in this country. Then there are the "martial" aspects, but those have "Yi," which is a very subtle yet powerful reason they are essential. Needless to say but I had never heard the word "Yi" before 2004.

Unlisted on Youtube and unavailable to the general public:

https://youtu.be/cOQi6YAbeP0

No comments: