Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Anatomy textbook for Tai Chi

 


Internal by belt buckle

I have some correspondence here about my "internal discipline" experience with an Anatomy Professor, Master Hwa, and from a student at classical-tai-chi-teachable.com. The picture/video below is an important snippet of his video recommendation:

"Master Hwa, could you please recommend an anatomy textbook that I could reference as I work on internal movements? I am fairly visual. I think that seeing which muscles are innervated would help me execute the internal movements".
Stephen Hwa
Reply
"Your first point, please see my Youtube video", https://youtu.be/5Zxxeyrt-FI It should answer your question.
James Roach
Reply
"Master Hwa, there is an Anatomy Professor with a teaching assistant at D'Youville University. My student Jason was in his class while studying for a Master's Degree in O.T. Upon introduction, a demonstration was given by Jason and me. After both teacher and assistant attempted "internal discipline" movements, they not only struggled to do it, and looked baffled but also did not proffer any questions about anatomy. Your previous statements about familiarity with its sensations have proven to be the key. As I'm sure you recall, it also took me some time and difficulty in my first year with you some 20 years ago and that was after a previous 2 decades studying with the Wu family. I also treasure the video where I hear you say "LOWER" to my other student Tom Kostusiak. His internal movement was high in the chest and not in the abdomen and back. We both would use the mirror at home and at the studio to see exactly where the movement was. Then we would take videos of ourselves to see it as well. We practice any chance that we have, sitting, watching TV, at red lights, etc., very relaxing".
Stephen Hwa
Reply
"Interesting analysis"!

No comments: