Monday, August 30, 2021

Liked on YouTube: Learning and evaluating students for Internal Discipline of Small Circle Tai Chi mp4

Learning and evaluating students for Internal Discipline of Small Circle Tai Chi mp4
Learning and evaluating students: With the https://ift.tt/2OfwbtJ Master Hwa has made a Gem for learning. I cannot say enough and rightly so because as he says, "...it is streamlined to facilitate student learning..." I only tell a little of my own experience here as I have gone on to digest what he passes on through "Teachable" and use it for my own classes. My experience has been: There is an adage that only those who pay the most $$$ for Tai Chi lessons will stick around. I have found in many ways, this only works if the $$$ also comes with a good student. Above all, In the relationship between teacher and student, the ball is ultimately in the student’s court. No one can teach you if you’re not willing to be a student. The corollary is true as well: A motivated student can learn from even a mediocre teacher. And when a real student meets a real teacher—that’s when the student’s world changes...I have been motivated to learn. That happened to me when I met Master Stephen Hwa. Years ago when I was teaching Wu's Style large frame at my own studio, my calligraphy teacher told me there was a Tai Chi teacher at the Chinese club who was called the "General" because of his strict teaching and call for dedication. Well, I had approached him years before that, in my early 30's and although he was strict, he was fair. My own teacher from "T" Tai Chi came with me to approach him to learn Chen Style, we had both grown disenchanted with "T" style. He told me that he would teach me but he would not teach my own teacher...why? Well, as Master Hwa says at about 17:15, teachers not only taught but they EVALUATED students attitude to see if they not only can learn, have talent, show promise but above all have a good attitude. I still do much the same, it is ingrained when I teach. I don't tell students I can't teach them but their "attitude" does do the "weeding out" process itself. My hopes in a non-pandemic future lean toward making it much more of a discipline that keeps students interest. Master Hwa talks about "...students complain because they think the teacher holds back...". My experience has also been that students complain about everything under the sun and I will leave it at that. The story from the calligraphy teacher was that the teacher told prospective students the charge for the class was $100 but if they stayed the course he would give it back to them...I like that quite a bit. However, much like Master Stephen Hwa, that teacher never charged me one thin dime...I learned a lot and above all am still continuing to learn and how to teach...I like that even more.
via YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGO77LzDRps

No comments: