Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Classical Tai Chi is a scientific martial art

  A scientific video



Classical Tai Chi is a martial art, and if it were an art like painting, a "one-inch punch" would merely be one type of brush stroke in a universe of methods. I digress, but I have a particular place in my heart for those who belittle Tai Chi's fighting ability, a special place in the heart, especially for those who engage in Tai Chi learning for only a short time and say that. Digressing further, let me tell you of a Judo vs. Kung Fu story, but it could be any martial art. I was personally acquainted with both teachers. It seems a Kung Fu Master who was renting a Judo Dojo said: "… don't do Judo, Kung Fu is better…." He meets the Judo Master while in the Dojo, who, with an upraised chair, said, "…so Judo is no good, Kung Fu is better…"?

My point is that my teacher, Master Hwa, has said, "…in a fight anything goes…". Working Shore Patrol in the Marine Corps, I saw this, but it was entitled "…in a fight, anything goes but first go the tables and chairs…". My teacher has previously spoken at the College about "...old masters, wanting to prove their art..." They, in so many words, were saying:..."... come on, let's fight"…".
To say nothing of contagious diseases, in this very different world today, I am sure there are many reasons besides law and human decency why we should not use that approach. It is no longer a matter of expounding Chinese wisdom via Western Science since China has also arrived in the 21st century. Master Hwa has spoken (after all, he is a retired Ph.D. Engineer) of his Fondness for his own teacher's systematic and scientific approach to the art. As an engineer, I like his expert and scientifically disciplined explanations for some pretty amazing things I have personally witnessed in Classical Tai Chi. His reasons come in the form of analysis and exposition of physiology and mechanics.
As my teacher, and in this video, I like his "physiological and mechanical" teaching of constantly reminding me to turn at the waist (Yao) using "internal discipline," Not turn at the hip girdle (Kua) to merely turn the "full" upper torso a complete turn. Classical Tai Chi, on the other hand, uses even, "quarters," "halves," "x, y, and z-axis, of the "Yao" in a very advanced level. This consists of complex combinations too numerous to mention of "quarters, halves, and x,y,z" axis movements.
"Fajin"??? "One-inch punch"??? Those are the tip of the iceberg. There is a veritable smorgasbord of Fajin from all angles and striking surfaces of a proficient practitioner's Classical Tai Chi body. In light of the plethora of combinations, it is a "palette" of functional movement rather than one brush stroke-like "one-inch punch." To conclude: The physiological effect of a lowered twisting action he speaks about in the video, exaggerates the signal and thus the stability of the core. If you are throwing yourself off balance, damaging your knees through excessive torque and shear force, then you have done much of the opponent's work for them. After all, my teacher and I have several videos showing the disparities, and you can see them all on Youtube. Let it not be said that I am "talking through my hat" because I did "twisting at the Kua" for many, many years before Classical Tai Chi.
Do you admire Master Hwa's use of the "one-inch punch"? One should respect the Science and Art behind it and put their admiration to work learning this art from A to Z. Rather than taking violent methods to prove our art, let's try to understand it. Yes, in Classical Tai Chi, we demonstrate many applications, but they always come with detailed scientific analysis. Once we know even one thing with the help of modern science, we are one significant step closer to the truth.

No comments: