Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Sitback and Lean

Dear Master Hwa:  Now as to the "sitback" as shown in Wu's posture my student Tom Kostusiak says: "When I first started Classical Tai Chi, I experienced back pain while playing the form. My teacher pointed out (as Master Hwa points out in the video) that I was not sitting back and stretching down the tailbone. As I progressed with this correction, my back pain subsided. I saw that incorrect posture was the cause of pain as I was not properly aligned for the moves."

A student some time ago asked me via email: "How does the second generation of Wu's family change the posture from the original upright posture of Yang's Tai Chi to a straight lean?"  Perhaps one answer is to ask why ask this question before you practice instead of practicing and finding the answer for yourself?  I was thinking about what you said on "lean" in the forward posture.  As we know very well, there is indeed much commentary as you say along with youtube video. I decided to look up exact definitions of English "lean". Then I said why not look up what Chinese translation of "lean is" and so...I find it ironic that other Tai Chi has so much commentary from allegedly reading the Tai Chi Classics and interpretation of Chang San Feng's edict to not "lean". Yet the simplified Chinese translation is 靠 or kào which in English is translated as "Lean" using a striking force with shoulder or body. The irony is "lean" is one of the 8 postures that Tai Chi is noted for. Also, the very same postures that they tout as needing to be done in the "perpendicular".

Hi Jim: "We just have to continually plug at it. To change the preconceived thinking of such a large portion of the tai chi practitioner is a herculean effort!"

No comments: