Sunday, November 22, 2020

 

Video Link  How to Learn Internal Discipline of Small Circle Tai Chi



You feel you only want a class and can't learn from videos? You can see my back as I stand and watch these students struggling to learn even with a giant mirror. I told Master Hwa today that we both are the "poster children" for video learning and ultimate success. I address the benefits of video learning in this narrative: Here S. Hwa is showing "Yin/Yang pairing", what moves and what does not move in the Square Form of "Cloud Hands". I decided to watch the student's sometimes futile attempt to exactly follow Master Stephen Hwa at the Buffalo State College Workshop in 2011. All of these students have some experience with learning, some 1 year and some have 8 years experience. I should add that before becoming one of the very first "closed-door", and "disciple students" I learned from a video of Wu's Style that I bought in Black Belt Magazine, 1980. Going to Toronto after that once a week to study and Eddie Wu told me I was the first he ever encountered that learned from video and "...it was very good, very smooth...".

As Master Stephen Hwa says in his latest video on learning "internal discipline":

"Some people are hesitant to learn from a video, they prefer to go to the class and stand behind the teacher to learn the movements. But, that is actually the most inefficient way of learning. You are watching the teacher and at the same time, you are trying to move. "
"In addition, you are only seeing large movements and neglecting the minor ones, especially the footwork angles and positions. The footwork is the most important and it is the foundation of movement. In my videos and why here we always label the directions N, S, E W so you can see the angles of the movements correctly. You know also that sometimes you have to turn your head to see the teacher or sometimes you cannot see them because your back is in front of them. I have always included "back view" videos which you follow just as though you are standing behind the teacher. The front and side view is extremely important. In fact, my own teacher Young Wabu thought that way in every class. In his classes he wanted us to just sit there for a time and watch him play the form. "
" I also want to say, just watching this kind of visual learning "saved" me, as I filmed him doing the form. I say it saved me because he lived in Hong Kong and only visited Rochester, NY from time to time. Later on in my business travels, I was away from Rochester and I did not have much chance to see him."

"All during that time, I could practice however because the visual learning enabled me to remember his movements and his words. As far as learning and targeting specific form movements, the video actually is the most efficient way of learning. Here you can go back and forth reviewing the steps again and again. With my Youtube videos, and my https://classical-tai-chi.teachable.com/
course the videos can change the "streaming speed" as low as half speed and you can download the "teachable" videos to your own storage or USB drive. Really what is really important about class and group learning is when you want to do a "push hands" inspired exercise. You know learning the form is very much a private affair, one is constantly negotiating with themself. This is especially true when you are a little bit advanced so you should be aware as well that "Teachable" does provide methods to communicate with the teacher that is quite streamlined."
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and indoor


No comments: