Monday, February 13, 2023

Liked on YouTube: Push Hand Movement minus partner to teach push and form

Push Hand Movement minus partner to teach push and form
Uncovering the Treasure by Stephen Hwa, Ph.D. "Paradoxically and contrary to common belief, practicing the seemingly soft and gentle Compact Form Classical Tai Chi develops internal energy and power while practicing the martial art of push hands and sparring should develop sensitivity and finesse." My link above is of Master Hwa and Ike Schultz pushing hands. My suggestion for one and all is to watch, follow and do the movements that just Master Hwa is doing. Of course, I recommend doing this without a partner. That's why I call it Push Hands 1/2. Just do what he is doing, body, shifting weight, back and forth, extending arms, etc. but minus a partner. You see these back-and-forth movements in the Classical Tai Chi Form in early training of "sit back," "lean forward" and this drill will help. I had someone visit my class early at Buffalo State University. He told me he wanted a martial art where he could "kick the butt" of those who disrespected him. I said, "...but what if you get close to them and cannot physically know what they are doing..." "Also, if you can't know yourself, how can you know them"? He looked puzzled, and I said, "...if I put my hand on your shoulder and you don't even sense a light touch, how can you react to a fast, stronger touch..." I demonstrated the touch on his shoulder,, upper chest, and back. In all three cases, a gentle movement of my hand using a very slow internal motion of my core moved him like a rag doll. He said, "...that seems like a lot of power; how do you do that..." I first developed internal strength and power through "Form" and finesse/sensitivity through push hands training with a partner. I concluded by saying, "...those skills have to develop in that order, "Form" first, then "Push hands". To make a martial application, one has to have neuromuscular control. If it is, a punch or a gentle push, one has to "hit the target," not miss, and the same holds for other applications. However, I have seen some gentle push-hands that are painful to watch; because students forget the fundamentals of the Form. So you say, "...but I never did push hands before..." I say, "as in the form, so in push hands, as in push hands, so in the form". What you have learned for good or bad rubs off on the other.
via YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOkHF1yC_o4

No comments: