Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Double weighted? Not!

Double weighted? Not! (video link)




Addressed to all, as well as students who eschew video learning, see video snip link from 000 to 005. Master Hwa refers to the subconscious here in his explanation and I address a student who came to me for getting out of the "buggy rides" of Tai Chi: 不客气 Bù kèqì Maureen Keough in a world where 谢谢你 Xièxiè nǐ is in "short supply".
Maureen Keough said: "Many thanks to Jim Roach who got me re-excited about learning classical tai chi. I am dedicated to learning and playing this to the exclusion of other tai chi styles and qigong styles because it makes the most sense to me. I wish I had found this before anything else because I think I am polluted from trying to ride many horses at the same time."
Maureen: In your study of Square Form on Teachable.com
You questioned Master Hwa about the video snip from that shows 双重加权 Shuāngchóng jiāquán Hand Strums the Lute 手揮琵琶
Grasp Peacock’s Tail 攬雀尾.
双重加权 Shuāngchóng jiāquán translates as "double-weighted".
Master Hwa said: "From 43 seconds to 48 seconds, (ooo to 005 here) my body is forward lean and back foot stretches back to touch the ground, so all the weight is on the front bent foot."
Maureen: I encounter lots of students, most of who have studied "other" Tai Chi, who see the small frame, small circle form and think because the feet are so close together that one is double weighted. Master Hwa's explanation is "spot on".
Maureen said: "I have tried to watch and follow. For me, this has not been a good strategy. It seems that before learning the form, I must learn the best way for me to learn. I am trying now "to watch when I am watching and to practice when I am practicing". I hope that makes sense!" (I told Maureen to do this and referred to Master Hwa's youtube videos where he specifically says to do it this way instead of mimic while watching)
Master Hwa said: "Yes, definitely, you need to just concentrate on watching. Just visual learning will subconsciously improve your movements.

No comments: