Monday, February 17, 2020

Your practice is "a drop in the bucket"


1st student, slouching in a chair: "I've been practicing 3 days a week and my balance has not improved". 2nd student leaning against the wall: "So have I, and I am frustrated by the teacher's corrections in class". The teacher overhears and says: "Did you ever see Master Stephen Hwa's Facebook picture of the Dad who is doing terrible things to his knees while he shows his child something"? "You both know the idiom "drop in the bucket",?  Your 3 x a week practice is just that. Let me clarify in the spirit of the idiom that the big problem is not with how many "days" but with how many hours because you have to practice all day". 1st student: " I can't practice all day, I have to go to work". Teacher: "I'm not talking "formal practice", I'm talking about what my own teacher Master Stephen Hwa calls "offline practice", which is not just doing "internal work", or "Form" but more importantly becoming AWARE 24/7 of what your body is DOING/NOT DOING. It's rather futile and absurd to ask for "benefits of Tai Chi" and still insist the only time you are AWARE is doing the Tai Chi Form or internal exercises"

No comments: