Monday, January 20, 2020

My teacher has "beginner's mind", my student has "expert's mind"

My teacher has "beginner's mind", my student has "expert's mind"

When learning Classical Tai Chi "Form", essentially (there are certainly more things to learn) one needs to learn 4 things and in the following order: 1. Direction, 2. Hand position, 3. Timing, 4. Internal Discipline.  The concern with hand position and even hand "direction" can be put on the back burner. There can be a million and one arbitrary hand movements positions, and hand directions but if the feet move in the wrong direction any concerns with hand "direction"  is moot. In his DVD series, my teacher teaches "direction" and includes "hand direction" along with "foot diretion" at the same time. But this is, after all, a DVD with limited space and time. My student Jason B., for instance, learned the whole 108 Square Form, just using his feet, no hands "directions" ...then added "hands".  Anyway, I was teaching "foot direction" recently, had pointed out the "order" of learning but a student said:  "You need to stand over there so students can see your hands!"  

For a teacher, this is an ideal opportunity to point out the difference between "expert's mind" and "beginner's mind" to all students.   It was the Japanese Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki who said: "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." 

Here is the difference and an example:

My own teacher who is an "expert" taught me that Tai Chi is "mindfulness meditation", to see and be aware of many "possibilities". A student who is a beginner taught me to see and be aware of a few "possibilities".  My teacher's mind is open, relaxed, what more can one say. My student's mind needs to be open to more possibilities, one needs to say something. 


No comments: