Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"FORGET the deeply ingrained external martial arts, in order to switch..."



Someone arrived in the studio and I said "How can I help you?"  "I saw your web page and I see that you teach Tai Chi".  "You studied other martial arts?" I asked.  "I studied Wu  Style for some time, I stopped, but I want to start again."  I asked her to demonstrate some of the Tai Chi that she knew and she refused.  "I don't remember it very well" she said.

"Do you realize you will have to unlearn all you have learned and start over again?" I asked.  "No," She said.

"Let me relate what my teacher Master Stephen Hwa says about his teacher's experience with the founder of Wu Style Tai Chi." I said. Biography of Grand Master Young Wabu 

"Now, you understand the point?"  "Yes," she said. "You want me to empty my head of old knowledge and old habits so I will be open to new learning."

"Exactly," I said

Later, she told me that she had to quit after the 3rd lesson.  "Why?" I asked.  "When I did Wu Style, my teacher did not do it like you are teaching it."

"By the way, did you forget what you agreed to?" I said.

"No." She said.

"That is why you  quit, you just cannot forget." I said.


No comments: